I. Contact Information
Name of Director: ________________________________________________________
Title (e.g. Executive Director, President): ________________________________________________________
Name of Institution: ________________________________________________________
Zip/Postal Code: _____________________
E-mail address: __________________________
Web site address: _______________________
Name, title of person completing application:
- Number of full-time paid staff: ________________________
- Number of part-time paid staff: ________________________
- Number of volunteer staff: ________________________
- Gross building interior space: ________________________
- Total interior exhibition space: ________________________
- Measurements in _____ square feet _____ square meters
- Total operating income*: ________________________
- Total operating expenses*:________________________
- Please indicate currency: ________________________
- Total on-site attendance*: ________________________
*please use data from your most recently completed financial year
1. A science center/museum is an organized and permanent
not-for-profit institution, dedicated to increasing the public's
understanding of science and technology, which provides exhibits,
programs, and activities addressing a broad spectrum of scientific
disciplines and topics. Science centers/museums show dedication
to the use of informal learning methods and use a broad array
of delivery techniques for science learning experiences while
serving as a resource for a community's science
Using the characteristics defined above, does your institution
identify itself as a science center/museum?
2. Does the science center/museum have not-for-profit status?
3. Is the science center/museum staffed and open to the
public at least 1,800
hours per year and six days per week?
4. Is the science center's/museum's primary mission to increase
the public understanding of science?
Please state the mission or append a copy of the mission statement.
5. Describe how the science center/museum achieves its mission.
6. Science centers/museums use a broad array of delivery
techniques for science education learning experiences (experiential,
tactile, and kinesthetic exhibits; participatory programs,
hands-on activities; inquiry-based learning). Participatory
exhibits and programs encourage visitors to experiment, to
have hands-on experiences, to manipulate variables, to observe
phenomena, and to ask "what-if" questions.
To what extent do the science center's/museum's exhibits and
programs employ such visitor participation techniques?
7. Does the science center/museum offer exhibits, programs,
and activities addressing a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines
and topics such as physical sciences, natural sciences, mathematics,
and technology? Please provide examples.
8. Describe how the science center/museum serves as a resource
for its community. How does your institution ensure that all
segments of your community are participating in the life of
IV. Supporting materials and signature
Please send two copies of the following
required materials for the ASTC Membership Department's review:
___ Most recently audited financial statement
___ Most recent newsletter
___ Visitors' guide with floor plan or map
___ Brochures and other descriptive materials about your institution's
exhibits, programs, and facilities. Please include your most recently published Annual Report, if available.
ASTC's leadership is committed to the following
Core and Strategic Values:
Public understanding of science
Strength in collaboration
Joy of experiential learning
Superior service to members
Quality, excellence, and innovation
Equity and diversity
Members strengthening their own communities
Do you agree with and demonstrate a strong
commitment to these values?
ASTC's Statement on Science
Science is a human endeavor that uses observations and experimentation to
develop explanations of the natural world. Scientific theories are grounded
in and compatible with evidence, internally consistent, and demonstrably effective
in explaining a wide variety of phenomena. Science is based on hundreds of years
of scientific observation and experimentation and many thousands of
Does your organization agree with ASTC's Statement on Science?
On behalf of our institution, I affirm that,
to the best of my knowledge, we meet the criteria of an ASTC
Signature, President, Chief Executive, Director, or the equivalent:
Printed name, President, Chief Executive, Director, or the equivalent:
ASTC reserves the right, in its sole discretion, and for any lawful reason, to reject any application for membership.
Please mail this application and your supporting
ASTC Membership, 818 Connecticut Avenue NW, 7th Floor,
DC 20006 U.S.A.